Friday, February 13, 2009

Laser Tag Wars!




One of the many things I liked about the Art and Industry project and show with York Arts was the opportunity to bring my work to a community broader than the kind of people who go see and write about contemporary art. I believe contemporary art is fundamentally democratic and should be accessible for and by everyone. I really liked the opportunity to work on site at Graham Engineering, meet the people who work there, and ultimately make work on site.

I knew once the show was up that it would be their "Writer's Eye" show- meaning local schools would come to York Arts for a writing workshop based on the work in the gallery. In this case the Art and Industry show. Donna just mailed me the resulting booklet containing "Laser Tag Wars" a short story by a 6th grade student about the ultimate laser tag battle between rival groups of 7 and 10 year olds in a big factory! It's awesome. It's great to see my work in a completely different light.